Compaired to the demanding and tetious jobs I have had in the past, I am amazed that I am receiving a paycheck for what I do now. Sure, the money isn't all too great, but it gets me by. The job is in a stress free, humanitarian field, and I couldn't be any happier.
I work with three boys who have autism. They live in a group home where they are taken care of by staff, such as myself, other than parents. These boys can be a handful, and I can imagine how their parents can not manage working a full time job, take care of other children, and then provide for their autistic son's needs. These boys need to be watched twenty-four hours a day.
Most of my time at work is spent playing with the kids. We often have waterfights, go shopping, play sports, go swimming and hiking, and other fun activities. The only portion of the job that I dislike is cooking the kids meat. I will not argue about doing so, because it is in my job description, but I don't have to like it. If possible, I try to cook a healthy alternative that I know the kids will enjoy. I often make vegan banana bread for them. Nobody besides myself makes these kids desert, and they love me for it. I am going to invest in some new recipes.
The job does have some quirks. We have to moniter their behavior, and record it. The kids each of an individual support plan (ISP). Each ISP is designed to help the kids function better in society.
Ben's ISP is focused on his hygiene

Scott's ISP is focused on social interactions

and Travis' (the most severely autistic) is focused on daily activities.

I recently had the opportunity to go to Lagoon with Scott and Ben. We had a great time, and I was completely paid for. I really enjoy my job, and I know that this fun and stress free environment will allow me to apply more effort in college.




11:59 PM